Detectives appeal for witnesses to fatal Forest Gate accident
Police are appealing for witnesses to an incident in which a workman died after a road traffic collision in Forest Gate yesterday.
Officers were alerted at approximately 04.45am yesterday morning. A group of maintenance workers had arrived in Upton Lane at about 4.35am to begin work via a manhole cover in the road. Safety cones were in position and the workers were wearing high visibility jackets.
The deceased, aged 43, had positioned himself, lying in the road next to the manhole cover, when a vehicle collided with him and subsequently with the parked works van. A post mortem carried out at East Ham Mortuary today revealed he died from multiple injuries.
Police have informed his next of kin but are are waiting for formal identification before releasing his details.
The vehicle, a Toyota Corolla, then made off from the scene and was traced a short while later in Ham Park Road, Forest Gate at the junction with Warwick Road, also Forest Gate.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Abi Lambkin, from the Road Death Investigation Unit, who leads the investigation said: “Although this collision took place in the early hours of Thursday morning, I am appealing for anyone who was in the area and may have travelled past the scene, to contact us. I would also like to speak to anyone who witnessed the moments prior to the collision to come forward.”
Anyone who witnessed the collision, or the moments leading up to the collision, is urged to contact the Road Death Investigation Unit at Chadwell Heath on (020) 8597 4874.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
A man who was arrested in connection with the incident, which happened in Upton Lane, near the junction with Upton Avenue, has since been charged.