Details of London 2012 Olympic Torch relay revealed
The Olympic Torch will begin its journey to Stratford’s Olympic Stadium from Land’s End, it was announced today.
The iconic flame, which will arrive in the UK in exactly a year’s time, is then set to make an 8,000-mile journey across the country.
It will arrive at the Games site on July 27, having visited dozens of towns and cities, including Bristol, Cardiff, Belfast and Glasgow.
The flame will also pass through all the London boroughs, starting with Tower Hamlets on July 20.
More details of the route will be announced later this year.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers today launched a search for an army of 8,000 so-called “inspirational torchbearers” to carry the flame on its journey.
Olympics minister Hugh Robertson said: “The Olympic Torch Relay brings London 2012 to the doorsteps of the UK giving everybody the chance to celebrate the London Games.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 West Ham defender Coufal frustrated with Everton defeat
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
“It’s a magnificent showcase for the country and a chance to mark the achievements of inspirational people in our communities.”