Details of London 2012 Olympic Torch relay revealed
The Olympic Torch will begin its journey to Stratford’s Olympic Stadium from Land’s End, it was announced today.
The iconic flame, which will arrive in the UK in exactly a year’s time, is then set to make an 8,000-mile journey across the country.
It will arrive at the Games site on July 27, having visited dozens of towns and cities, including Bristol, Cardiff, Belfast and Glasgow.
The flame will also pass through all the London boroughs, starting with Tower Hamlets on July 20.
More details of the route will be announced later this year.
Organisers today launched a search for an army of 8,000 so-called “inspirational torchbearers” to carry the flame on its journey.
Olympics minister Hugh Robertson said: “The Olympic Torch Relay brings London 2012 to the doorsteps of the UK giving everybody the chance to celebrate the London Games.
- 1 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 2 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
“It’s a magnificent showcase for the country and a chance to mark the achievements of inspirational people in our communities.”