Derek’s master mural lights up dockside church
A BUDDING painter has created his own little masterpiece for his church in North Woolwich.
Derek James, 67, of Silvertown, was commissioned to create a mural for St John’s in Manwood Street by the Rev Trish Capriello after she discovered his painting hobby.
Derek said: “I think the Reverend is pleased with it and everybody at the church seems to like it.”
Rev Capriello asked Derek to produce something for the wall of the church entrance hall after seeing some of his paintings of the Stations of the Cross.
Derek decided to paint in the style of a glass mural window with a series of pictures depicting scenes from the Old and New Testament.
You may also want to watch:
The budding artist said: “I wanted to produce something that would make people ask questions.”
The striking work by Derek, who also works as a volunteer for Richard House in Beckton, was produced over six weeks and was blessed by Rev Capriello during a service last month.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 7 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 8 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
Pictured: Derek and the Rev Capriello.