Decision due on Upton Centre’s future
- Credit: Archant
A decision on the Upton Centre’s future is to be made tonight as cabinet members are presented with the outcome of the consultation.
Three options were set out: maintaining the Claude Road venue for either five or 20 years or closing it permanently and consulting on the future use of the site.
The cabinet has been recommended to agree with the latter option.
Results of the consultation, which included an online survey, face to face surveys and focus groups, found the three most popular options for the site were maintaining the Upton Centre, building affordable homes or having alternative community provision.
The online survey found that closing the centre permanently was backed by 19 per cent of participants and opposed by 80pc.
You may also want to watch:
In contrast, 44pc supported opening it for a further 20 years, with 40pc against it.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?