David Walliams takes on charity relay at London Aquatics Centre
- Credit: Archant
Comedian, actor and Britain’s Got Talent judge David Walliams will take on his next big swimming challenge for charity at the London Aquatics Centre.
In just under a month’s time Walliams, who swam the Channel and the length of the River Thames for Sport Relief, will take on the British Gas SwimBritain challenge, a four-person relay in which each team member swims a 250metre leg around a special course.
Also taking part on September 20, in aid of housing charity Shelter, will be stars of the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics, including Rebecca Adlington, Ellie Simmonds, Michael Jamieson and Amy Marren.
Last year, Walliams joined more that 5,000 British Gas staff and their families in the SwimBritain open water challenge, which raised more than £300,000 for the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity at events nationwide .
He said: “Last year was brilliant fun. I was really bowled over by the buoyant atmosphere on the day, so I’m excited to be back again for 2014.
“I feel at home in the open water, so I’m excited to try the swim in the pool at the London Aquatics Centre this year.”
Entry is open to members of the public, each of whom will be entitled to two free coaching sessions and the SwimBritain training app to help prepare for the big day, plus a free T-shirt, swimming cap and medal to remember it by.
- 1 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 2 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 3 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 4 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 5 Collision causes traffic delays at Canning Town flyover
- 6 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 7 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
- 8 Stratford overtakes Waterloo as busiest station in Britain
- 9 Drug dealer has to pay back £155 - after criminal behaviour netted £8,405
- 10 Chance of snow in London this weekend
Sign up at swimbritain.co.uk and look out for updates on Twitter via @BGSwimming and Facebook at facebook.com/BGSwimming