Darren Johnson AM calls to include cable car in daily cap
- Credit: Archant
London Assembly Member Darren Johnson has called for the cable car connecting Newham and Greenwich to be made more affordable for travellers.
The Emirates Air Line, which runs between Canning Town and North Greenwich, costs £4.30 for an adult ticket or £3.20 on an Oyster card, but it is not included within the daily price cap.
It comes after Transport for London revealed the income from fares in the second quarter of 2013/14 was 35% less than predicted.
The number of trips taken is also down 36% from the same period last year.
Operating costs were £400,000 lower than expected but the deficit still leaves the cable car £2.5m short of predictions.
You may also want to watch:
Green Party member Darren said: ““These shocking figures go to show that the cable car’s ticketing policy needs to be overhauled urgently.
“The Mayor as head of TfL has the power to step in and turn the cable car’s fortunes around and the easiest way to plug the black hole in its finances would be to simply get more passengers through the turnstiles.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
“Including the cable car in the Oyster pay-as-you-go cap, freedom passes and travelcards would make it more affordable to people undertaking everyday travel.”