Darren Johnson AM calls to include cable car in daily cap
- Credit: Archant
London Assembly Member Darren Johnson has called for the cable car connecting Newham and Greenwich to be made more affordable for travellers.
The Emirates Air Line, which runs between Canning Town and North Greenwich, costs £4.30 for an adult ticket or £3.20 on an Oyster card, but it is not included within the daily price cap.
It comes after Transport for London revealed the income from fares in the second quarter of 2013/14 was 35% less than predicted.
The number of trips taken is also down 36% from the same period last year.
Operating costs were £400,000 lower than expected but the deficit still leaves the cable car £2.5m short of predictions.
You may also want to watch:
Green Party member Darren said: ““These shocking figures go to show that the cable car’s ticketing policy needs to be overhauled urgently.
“The Mayor as head of TfL has the power to step in and turn the cable car’s fortunes around and the easiest way to plug the black hole in its finances would be to simply get more passengers through the turnstiles.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
“Including the cable car in the Oyster pay-as-you-go cap, freedom passes and travelcards would make it more affordable to people undertaking everyday travel.”