Darren Johnson AM calls to include cable car in daily cap
- Credit: Archant
London Assembly Member Darren Johnson has called for the cable car connecting Newham and Greenwich to be made more affordable for travellers.
The Emirates Air Line, which runs between Canning Town and North Greenwich, costs £4.30 for an adult ticket or £3.20 on an Oyster card, but it is not included within the daily price cap.
It comes after Transport for London revealed the income from fares in the second quarter of 2013/14 was 35% less than predicted.
The number of trips taken is also down 36% from the same period last year.
Operating costs were £400,000 lower than expected but the deficit still leaves the cable car £2.5m short of predictions.
Green Party member Darren said: ““These shocking figures go to show that the cable car’s ticketing policy needs to be overhauled urgently.
“The Mayor as head of TfL has the power to step in and turn the cable car’s fortunes around and the easiest way to plug the black hole in its finances would be to simply get more passengers through the turnstiles.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 5 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 6 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 7 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 8 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 Campaigners dress as animals to deliver letters about farm closure
“Including the cable car in the Oyster pay-as-you-go cap, freedom passes and travelcards would make it more affordable to people undertaking everyday travel.”