Dagenham pupils given personalised dictionaries by Rotarians
- Credit: Archant
Pupils did not struggle to find the words to say thank you to the Rotary Club after each was given a personalised dictionary to prepare them for secondary school.
Around 120 children leaving Grafton Primary School, in Grafton Road, Dagenham, were presented with the tomes by Bob O’Keeffe, past president of the Club, in the presence of John Davis, Rotarian and former Mayor of Dagenham. on Monday July 22.
For the second year running, Martin Nicholson, headteacher at Grafton Primary, thanked the Rotary Club of Dagenham for the dictionaries and for supporting his pupils.
Dagenham Rotary Club treasurer Arun Patel said: “A dictionary, unlike a web search, will stay with you for a longer period and when you look at it there is a tendency to use it.
“We feel it has an aura of importance about it.
You may also want to watch:
“Quite often kids are reluctant to break with a new world and this is to help them go through it.
“When I came to England in 1970 I had no English and my centre point was a dictionary. I value this very much and I hope the kids will use it.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
Earlier in the day, the children took part in a quiz organised by the Club for the chance to win gift tokens worth £40.