Custom House gardener’s joy at biggest pumpkin
Allotment holder Ignatius Stewart is looking forward to enjoying the fruits of his labours after growing his largest pumpkin.
Ignatius, who is retired, works on the allotment in Leyes Road, Custom House with his wife Joan. She plants the seeds and he helps grow them once they have sprouted.
He said: “We have been doing the allotment for six to seven years but this is the first time I have grown one as big as this.
“I don’t know how or why. Its just one of those things. Its grown from a seed from a big pumpkin that somebody gave me.”
And although it is Hallowe’en, Ignatius, who lives in nearby Victoria Dock, has no plans to carve a spooky lantern out of it - he intends to put it to good use in his kitchen and distribute it to friends. After all, he will need their help to move it as its far too heavy for him to lift alone.
You may also want to watch:
He will also make sure he keeps some seeds, ready for a bumper crop next year.
- 1 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 8 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 9 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 10 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more