Custom House family ‘heartbroken’ by cat’s poisoning
- Credit: Sue Francis
A distraught cat owner has warned of the dangers of antifreeze after her pet died just hours after being poisoned.
Sue Francis, of Russell Road, Custom House, took her three-year-old cat, Tux, to the PDSA clinic in Bow after he started vomiting on January 30.
He was transferred to Woodford hospital but had to be put down after suffering organ failure.
“We’re all heartbroken - it all happened so quickly,” Sue said.
“I took him in at 1pm and by 6pm they were calling me to say he needed to be put down.
“One of my daughters didn’t even know he was ill.”
Sue says she did not know whether someone had poisoned Tux deliberately or whether he had ingested the antifreeze by accident.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 6 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 7 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 8 Late Maupay equaliser holds West Ham to Brighton draw
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 10 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
She said: “It tastes sweet to cats and dogs.
“I’ve heard stories from other areas of people putting antifreeze in a bowl and leaving it out for cats.
“I called Celia Hammond [Animal Trust] to let them know what happened in case they get other cats brought in with the same thing.”
Sue has also put up posters warning other cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze and the symptoms, including vomiting, fitting and excessive thirst.
She and her three children, aged 14, 24 and 25, were all close to Tux, who they adopted after a stray cat that her friend was feeding gave birth.
Since his death, she has not let her other cat, Molly, out of the house.
“We’ve boarded up the cat flap,” she said.
“We’re going to build something in the garden so she can go outside but still be safe.”