Custom House community welcome new Ascension Church vicar
Community spirit was alive and well in Custom House last week as over 200 people turned out to welcome a new vicar.
The Church of Ascension, in Victoria Dock, celebrated the installation of Reverend Dave Chesney with family, friends, and visitors from his previous churches in Dagenham and Chelmsford.
The Bishop of Barking, The Rt Rev David Hawkins, Deputy Lieutenant Colonel Michael Dudding joined the Ascension Eagles family, along with representatives from the local community including head teachers, councillors, and fellow ministers to introduce Mr Chesney to the area.
Mr Chesney said: “I could not have wished for a better welcome.
“This is an exciting time not only for me and my family but also for what represents a new chapter in the life of the church and the lives of the community we seek to serve.”
You may also want to watch:
Beryl Callison, church warden, said: “It is a great pleasure to welcome Dave and his family to Ascension Church.
“It was amazing the number of people who attended to support us on this great occasion and there was a tremendous atmosphere.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
“Everyone who attended expressed what a wonderful experience it has been.
“It is the beginning of a new and exciting future as we continue to servce the community.”
Phil Taylor, youth ministry co-ordinator at Ascension Church, said: “It is great to welcome Dave to Ascension Church.
“I am really looking forward to working alongside him within out community, here in Custom House, and sharing the good news of Jesus Christ.”
Mr Chesney took over from his late predecessor, The Reverend Chris Hanson, a few days after the 110th anniversary of building of the Baxter Road church and 125 years since the establishment of the Parish of Ascension.