Custom House community welcome new Ascension Church vicar
Community spirit was alive and well in Custom House last week as over 200 people turned out to welcome a new vicar.
The Church of Ascension, in Victoria Dock, celebrated the installation of Reverend Dave Chesney with family, friends, and visitors from his previous churches in Dagenham and Chelmsford.
The Bishop of Barking, The Rt Rev David Hawkins, Deputy Lieutenant Colonel Michael Dudding joined the Ascension Eagles family, along with representatives from the local community including head teachers, councillors, and fellow ministers to introduce Mr Chesney to the area.
Mr Chesney said: “I could not have wished for a better welcome.
“This is an exciting time not only for me and my family but also for what represents a new chapter in the life of the church and the lives of the community we seek to serve.”
You may also want to watch:
Beryl Callison, church warden, said: “It is a great pleasure to welcome Dave and his family to Ascension Church.
“It was amazing the number of people who attended to support us on this great occasion and there was a tremendous atmosphere.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
“Everyone who attended expressed what a wonderful experience it has been.
“It is the beginning of a new and exciting future as we continue to servce the community.”
Phil Taylor, youth ministry co-ordinator at Ascension Church, said: “It is great to welcome Dave to Ascension Church.
“I am really looking forward to working alongside him within out community, here in Custom House, and sharing the good news of Jesus Christ.”
Mr Chesney took over from his late predecessor, The Reverend Chris Hanson, a few days after the 110th anniversary of building of the Baxter Road church and 125 years since the establishment of the Parish of Ascension.