Worker dies after hit and run incident in Forest Gate: Two arrests
An investigation has begun after a fatal accident in Forest Gate this morning.
Police officers were alerted at around 4.45am concering the incident in Upton Lane, near junction with Upton Avenue.
Scotland Yard say that it appears that a car was involved in an accident with a man working in a manhole in the street.
The vehicle failed to stop.
London Ambulance service attended the scene but the man was confirmed dead.
He is believed to be in his mid-40s. A Scotland Yard spokesman said they were waiting for a formal identification and then would be able to inform next-of-kin. A post-mortem will be held.
Any witnesses or anyone who can assist should call police on 101; if you wish to remain an anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 4 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 8 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 9 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 10 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
Shortly after the incident a man aged 33 was arrested nearby in Ham Park Road, Stratford on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving with excess alcohol. A Toyota Corolla parked in the road was seized by police.
A woman was also arrested - on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, and also on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Upton Lane is steal sealed off while forensic tests and other investigations take place. Bus diversions are also in place.