Worker dies after hit and run incident in Forest Gate: Two arrests
An investigation has begun after a fatal accident in Forest Gate this morning.
Police officers were alerted at around 4.45am concering the incident in Upton Lane, near junction with Upton Avenue.
Scotland Yard say that it appears that a car was involved in an accident with a man working in a manhole in the street.
The vehicle failed to stop.
London Ambulance service attended the scene but the man was confirmed dead.
You may also want to watch:
He is believed to be in his mid-40s. A Scotland Yard spokesman said they were waiting for a formal identification and then would be able to inform next-of-kin. A post-mortem will be held.
Any witnesses or anyone who can assist should call police on 101; if you wish to remain an anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
Shortly after the incident a man aged 33 was arrested nearby in Ham Park Road, Stratford on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving with excess alcohol. A Toyota Corolla parked in the road was seized by police.
A woman was also arrested - on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, and also on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Upton Lane is steal sealed off while forensic tests and other investigations take place. Bus diversions are also in place.