Worker dies after hit and run incident in Forest Gate: Two arrests
An investigation has begun after a fatal accident in Forest Gate this morning.
Police officers were alerted at around 4.45am concering the incident in Upton Lane, near junction with Upton Avenue.
Scotland Yard say that it appears that a car was involved in an accident with a man working in a manhole in the street.
The vehicle failed to stop.
London Ambulance service attended the scene but the man was confirmed dead.
You may also want to watch:
He is believed to be in his mid-40s. A Scotland Yard spokesman said they were waiting for a formal identification and then would be able to inform next-of-kin. A post-mortem will be held.
Any witnesses or anyone who can assist should call police on 101; if you wish to remain an anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
Shortly after the incident a man aged 33 was arrested nearby in Ham Park Road, Stratford on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving with excess alcohol. A Toyota Corolla parked in the road was seized by police.
A woman was also arrested - on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, and also on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Upton Lane is steal sealed off while forensic tests and other investigations take place. Bus diversions are also in place.