Worker dies after hit and run incident in Forest Gate: Two arrests
An investigation has begun after a fatal accident in Forest Gate this morning.
Police officers were alerted at around 4.45am concering the incident in Upton Lane, near junction with Upton Avenue.
Scotland Yard say that it appears that a car was involved in an accident with a man working in a manhole in the street.
The vehicle failed to stop.
London Ambulance service attended the scene but the man was confirmed dead.
You may also want to watch:
He is believed to be in his mid-40s. A Scotland Yard spokesman said they were waiting for a formal identification and then would be able to inform next-of-kin. A post-mortem will be held.
Any witnesses or anyone who can assist should call police on 101; if you wish to remain an anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Flying Hammers face testing week with games coming thick and fast
Shortly after the incident a man aged 33 was arrested nearby in Ham Park Road, Stratford on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving with excess alcohol. A Toyota Corolla parked in the road was seized by police.
A woman was also arrested - on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, and also on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Upton Lane is steal sealed off while forensic tests and other investigations take place. Bus diversions are also in place.