Worker dies after hit and run incident in Forest Gate: Two arrests
An investigation has begun after a fatal accident in Forest Gate this morning.
Police officers were alerted at around 4.45am concering the incident in Upton Lane, near junction with Upton Avenue.
Scotland Yard say that it appears that a car was involved in an accident with a man working in a manhole in the street.
The vehicle failed to stop.
London Ambulance service attended the scene but the man was confirmed dead.
You may also want to watch:
He is believed to be in his mid-40s. A Scotland Yard spokesman said they were waiting for a formal identification and then would be able to inform next-of-kin. A post-mortem will be held.
Any witnesses or anyone who can assist should call police on 101; if you wish to remain an anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 8 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 9 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0
Shortly after the incident a man aged 33 was arrested nearby in Ham Park Road, Stratford on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving with excess alcohol. A Toyota Corolla parked in the road was seized by police.
A woman was also arrested - on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, and also on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Upton Lane is steal sealed off while forensic tests and other investigations take place. Bus diversions are also in place.