Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- Credit: Photographic and Imaging Unit
A murder investigation is underway after a woman was stabbed to death in Custom House this morning.
The 34-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene after police were called to a home in Burrard Road shortly before 6.30am today (May 19).
A 33-year-old man, who is believed to be known to the victim, was arrested at the address on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody.
Police say they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident at this time.
The Met’s specialist crime command has begun investigating, led by Det Ch Insp Mark Rogers, who said: "This is a tragic incident which understandably will cause shock to the local community.
"I want to reassure them that my team of skilled homicide detectives are already working diligently to piece together the events that led to this murder."
Officers are working to identify and inform the woman’s next of kin.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 3 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 4 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 5 Antonio hopes short summer break helps West Ham bid
- 6 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 7 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 8 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 9 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 10 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
Det Supt Jimi Tele, who leads for public protection on the Met’s North East basic command unit, added: "Local officers will be in and around the area to support their specialist homicide colleagues as this investigation progresses.
"I would encourage any residents with concerns to approach them and speak to them or please get in contact with your local neighbourhood policing team.
"A young woman has lost her life in awful circumstances and I can understand the worry this will cause amongst residents in Newham - it is a worry that our officers share and drives us all on to ensure tackling violence against women remains a top priority for the Met."
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8345 3715, call 101 or tweet @MetCC and provide reference number CAD 1147/19May.
If you do not wish to speak directly to police, you can provide information anonymously via the Crimestoppers website or by calling 0800 555 111.
Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly reported that the victim was aged 24, which was the information provided by police at the time.