Woman accused of killing suspected Silvertown paedophile claims she ‘didn’t stab him’

A woman is on trial accused of killing a suspected peadophile

A woman is on trial accused of killing a suspected peadophile - Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images

A mother accused of killing a suspected paedophile has denied stabbing him but admitted to “poking” him with a knife following a confrontation, a court heard today.

Mike Pleasted, 77, was found dead at his home in Drew Road, Silvertown, in November last year – two weeks after he had appeared at Thames Magistrates Court charged with sexually assaulting two boys under the age of 18.

Mr Pleasted, who had been stabbed eight times altogether, was also accused of sexually assaulting another boy under the age of 18.

Sarah Sands, 32, is on trial at the Old Bailey, charged with Mr Pleasted’s murder.

During the trial, jurors heard the suspect claim that she “did not stab” Mr Pleasted and did not realise she was “poking” him with a knife when she went to confront him over the alleged sex offences at his flat at about 8pm on November 28.

The court heard how Sands went to confront Mr Pleasted after drinking two bottles of wine and a bottle of brandy and was armed with a knife - but she insists that she did not intend on harming him.

The mother-of-five was also armed with a hammer and a wrench which she claims to have taken for her own safety.

Most Read

The court heard how Sands had taken the knife out during the heated confrontation during which she tried to convince the salesman to plead guilty to the sex offences.

Sands told jurors that Mr Pleasted had “smirked” at her before accusing his alleged victims of being liars and complaining that his life had been ruined.

She said: “He was not how I thought he was going to be. He was so cold.”

Sands added: “I realised I did not want to be there. I stood up and I was staring at him and he looked like he was going to face the window, but he turned back to face me and he came towards me.

“I was frightened. It was not how it was meant to go. He was meant to listen to me.”

At this point, Sands told jurors, she had taken the knife out of her bag and was holding it in her left hand.

She said: “We were staring at each other, I was poking him. He was looking dead in my face and he was just standing there and I don’t think either of us realised what had happened.”

She added that she had poked him on the back of his right shoulder, followed by his stomach, but after realising what she had done and seeing spots of blood on her jumper, she panicked and made off.

The court heard how the mother handed herself into police after telling a relative about the incident, but during a police interview, she claimed that she didn’t know he had died.

The trial, which is due to last two weeks, continues.

The suspect remains in custody.