Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood ‘lived in West Ham’, neighbour claims
- Credit: PA
The terrorist suspected of carrying out yesterday’s attack in Westminster lived in Newham, it has been claimed.
Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old originally from Kent, is also thought to have lived in east London, with a man of his name registered to an address in a terraced street in West Ham.
A neighbour, who asked not to be named, told the Press Association: “This guy is a local guy. I’ve been living in the area for 20 years.
“I don’t know him personally but I believe he belongs to a mosque on Leyton High Road.
“I’ve seen his face many times. I saw him on the news at around 7pm last night and thought ‘this is the guy I know from the mosque.’
You may also want to watch:
“He had a beard and big eyes.”
Masood, who was known by a number of alises, was not currently being investigated by authorities and there was “no prior intelligence about his intent to mount a terrorist attack”, Scotland Yard said.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
He was known to police and has a range of previous convictions for assaults, including GBH, possession of offensive weapons and public order offences dating back to 1983 - but none for terrorism offences.
Four people, including Masood, died. Pc Keith Palmer was killed in the attack, along with two members of the public – college worker Aysha Frade and tourist Kurt Cochran.