Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood ‘lived in West Ham’, neighbour claims
- Credit: PA
The terrorist suspected of carrying out yesterday’s attack in Westminster lived in Newham, it has been claimed.
Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old originally from Kent, is also thought to have lived in east London, with a man of his name registered to an address in a terraced street in West Ham.
A neighbour, who asked not to be named, told the Press Association: “This guy is a local guy. I’ve been living in the area for 20 years.
“I don’t know him personally but I believe he belongs to a mosque on Leyton High Road.
“I’ve seen his face many times. I saw him on the news at around 7pm last night and thought ‘this is the guy I know from the mosque.’
You may also want to watch:
“He had a beard and big eyes.”
Masood, who was known by a number of alises, was not currently being investigated by authorities and there was “no prior intelligence about his intent to mount a terrorist attack”, Scotland Yard said.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
He was known to police and has a range of previous convictions for assaults, including GBH, possession of offensive weapons and public order offences dating back to 1983 - but none for terrorism offences.
Four people, including Masood, died. Pc Keith Palmer was killed in the attack, along with two members of the public – college worker Aysha Frade and tourist Kurt Cochran.