Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood ‘lived in West Ham’, neighbour claims
- Credit: PA
The terrorist suspected of carrying out yesterday’s attack in Westminster lived in Newham, it has been claimed.
Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old originally from Kent, is also thought to have lived in east London, with a man of his name registered to an address in a terraced street in West Ham.
A neighbour, who asked not to be named, told the Press Association: “This guy is a local guy. I’ve been living in the area for 20 years.
“I don’t know him personally but I believe he belongs to a mosque on Leyton High Road.
“I’ve seen his face many times. I saw him on the news at around 7pm last night and thought ‘this is the guy I know from the mosque.’
You may also want to watch:
“He had a beard and big eyes.”
Masood, who was known by a number of alises, was not currently being investigated by authorities and there was “no prior intelligence about his intent to mount a terrorist attack”, Scotland Yard said.
- 1 Jailed: Drug dealer who crashed into cab leaving passengers critically injured
- 2 Detectives release images after robbery in East Ham
- 3 'Severe maladministration' by Newham Council in housing complaint handling
- 4 Jailed: Manor Park man guilty of drug offences, but not machete murder
- 5 Man in hospital after fire at disused Forest Gate church
- 6 Blades, £25k and Class A drugs seized by police after car stop in Plaistow
- 7 £3m centre to reduce young adult reoffending to be set up in Stratford
- 8 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 9 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff feels he knows already what makes the squad tick
He was known to police and has a range of previous convictions for assaults, including GBH, possession of offensive weapons and public order offences dating back to 1983 - but none for terrorism offences.
Four people, including Masood, died. Pc Keith Palmer was killed in the attack, along with two members of the public – college worker Aysha Frade and tourist Kurt Cochran.