West Ham striker Carlton Cole is race hate Twitter target after Swansea defeat
West Ham hitman Carlton Cole was targeted by racist hate tweets following defeat to Premier League rivals Swansea.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
Twenty eight-year-old striker Cole published the offensive messages on his own page on the micro-blogging website, yesterday (Saturday).
Then he called on his more than 58,000 followers to keep Twitter exchanges about football.
“Listen, I take racism a lot lighter than others and I do understand the banter that comes along with it to get under people’s skin, but it can sometimes be hurtful and insulting,” wrote Cole.
“I don’t mind when people criticise me for having a bad game or they think I’m crap at football but just say that.
“Whether I am crap or had a bad game has nothing to with my race, creed or religion. let’s just keep it FOOTBALL. Kapeesh?”
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 7 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Man found on fire in East Ham park dies
- 10 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: “Police have arrested a 22-year-old man from Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following tweets sent to @Carltoncole1 (West Ham player Carlton Cole) on Saturday, August 25.
“Investigations are ongoing.”