West Ham striker Carlton Cole is race hate Twitter target after Swansea defeat
West Ham hitman Carlton Cole was targeted by racist hate tweets following defeat to Premier League rivals Swansea.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
Twenty eight-year-old striker Cole published the offensive messages on his own page on the micro-blogging website, yesterday (Saturday).
Then he called on his more than 58,000 followers to keep Twitter exchanges about football.
“Listen, I take racism a lot lighter than others and I do understand the banter that comes along with it to get under people’s skin, but it can sometimes be hurtful and insulting,” wrote Cole.
“I don’t mind when people criticise me for having a bad game or they think I’m crap at football but just say that.
“Whether I am crap or had a bad game has nothing to with my race, creed or religion. let’s just keep it FOOTBALL. Kapeesh?”
- 1 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 2 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 3 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 4 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 5 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 6 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 7 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 8 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 9 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: “Police have arrested a 22-year-old man from Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following tweets sent to @Carltoncole1 (West Ham player Carlton Cole) on Saturday, August 25.
“Investigations are ongoing.”