West Ham striker Carlton Cole is race hate Twitter target after Swansea defeat
West Ham hitman Carlton Cole was targeted by racist hate tweets following defeat to Premier League rivals Swansea.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
Twenty eight-year-old striker Cole published the offensive messages on his own page on the micro-blogging website, yesterday (Saturday).
Then he called on his more than 58,000 followers to keep Twitter exchanges about football.
“Listen, I take racism a lot lighter than others and I do understand the banter that comes along with it to get under people’s skin, but it can sometimes be hurtful and insulting,” wrote Cole.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t mind when people criticise me for having a bad game or they think I’m crap at football but just say that.
“Whether I am crap or had a bad game has nothing to with my race, creed or religion. let’s just keep it FOOTBALL. Kapeesh?”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: “Police have arrested a 22-year-old man from Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following tweets sent to @Carltoncole1 (West Ham player Carlton Cole) on Saturday, August 25.
“Investigations are ongoing.”