West Ham striker Carlton Cole is race hate Twitter target after Swansea defeat
West Ham hitman Carlton Cole was targeted by racist hate tweets following defeat to Premier League rivals Swansea.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
Twenty eight-year-old striker Cole published the offensive messages on his own page on the micro-blogging website, yesterday (Saturday).
Then he called on his more than 58,000 followers to keep Twitter exchanges about football.
“Listen, I take racism a lot lighter than others and I do understand the banter that comes along with it to get under people’s skin, but it can sometimes be hurtful and insulting,” wrote Cole.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t mind when people criticise me for having a bad game or they think I’m crap at football but just say that.
“Whether I am crap or had a bad game has nothing to with my race, creed or religion. let’s just keep it FOOTBALL. Kapeesh?”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 3 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 6 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 7 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 8 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 9 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 10 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: “Police have arrested a 22-year-old man from Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following tweets sent to @Carltoncole1 (West Ham player Carlton Cole) on Saturday, August 25.
“Investigations are ongoing.”