West Ham striker Carlton Cole is race hate Twitter target after Swansea defeat
West Ham hitman Carlton Cole was targeted by racist hate tweets following defeat to Premier League rivals Swansea.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
Twenty eight-year-old striker Cole published the offensive messages on his own page on the micro-blogging website, yesterday (Saturday).
Then he called on his more than 58,000 followers to keep Twitter exchanges about football.
“Listen, I take racism a lot lighter than others and I do understand the banter that comes along with it to get under people’s skin, but it can sometimes be hurtful and insulting,” wrote Cole.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t mind when people criticise me for having a bad game or they think I’m crap at football but just say that.
“Whether I am crap or had a bad game has nothing to with my race, creed or religion. let’s just keep it FOOTBALL. Kapeesh?”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: “Police have arrested a 22-year-old man from Southend on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following tweets sent to @Carltoncole1 (West Ham player Carlton Cole) on Saturday, August 25.
“Investigations are ongoing.”