West Ham FC offices raided in tax probe
- Credit: Archant
West Ham Football Club offices at the Olympic Park were raided in an investigation into tax fraud this morning.
Newcastle United’s offices are also believed to have been searched and several men from the football industry have been arrested over a suspected income tax and national insurance fraud in an operation that has involved both British and French tax authorities.
HM Customs and Revenue declined to comment on reports that Newcastle United and West Ham United were involved in the probe but confirmed that premises in the north east and south east of England had been raided as well as locations in France.
In a statement, the service said: “HMRC has arrested several men working within the professional football industry for a suspected income tax and national insurance fraud.
“180 HMRC officers have been deployed across the UK and France today.
You may also want to watch:
“Investigators have searched a number of premises in the north east and south east of England and arrested the men and also seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones.
“The French authorities are assisting the UK investigation, have made arrests and several locations have been searched in France.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 10 Plans for industrial hub, shipyard and homes on Albert Island approved
“This criminal investigation sends a clear message that, whoever you are, if you commit tax fraud you can expect to face the consequences.
“As this is an ongoing investigation, HMRC is unable to provide any further detail at this time.”
A West Ham spokesman said: “The Club is cooperating fully with HMRC to assist their enquiries. No further comment will be made at this time.”
MORE TO FOLLOW