West Ham FC offices raided in tax probe
- Credit: Archant
West Ham Football Club offices at the Olympic Park were raided in an investigation into tax fraud this morning.
Newcastle United’s offices are also believed to have been searched and several men from the football industry have been arrested over a suspected income tax and national insurance fraud in an operation that has involved both British and French tax authorities.
HM Customs and Revenue declined to comment on reports that Newcastle United and West Ham United were involved in the probe but confirmed that premises in the north east and south east of England had been raided as well as locations in France.
In a statement, the service said: “HMRC has arrested several men working within the professional football industry for a suspected income tax and national insurance fraud.
“180 HMRC officers have been deployed across the UK and France today.
You may also want to watch:
“Investigators have searched a number of premises in the north east and south east of England and arrested the men and also seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones.
“The French authorities are assisting the UK investigation, have made arrests and several locations have been searched in France.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
“This criminal investigation sends a clear message that, whoever you are, if you commit tax fraud you can expect to face the consequences.
“As this is an ongoing investigation, HMRC is unable to provide any further detail at this time.”
A West Ham spokesman said: “The Club is cooperating fully with HMRC to assist their enquiries. No further comment will be made at this time.”
MORE TO FOLLOW