Weapons seized in Newham as part of the Met’s London-wide crackdown on knife crime
- Credit: Mike Brooke
A lock-knife and a friction baton seized from a car in Newham are among the hundreds of weapons confiscated by police last week in latest crackdown on violent crime.
The latest phase of the Met’s Operation Sceptre to tackle knife crime resulted in more than 400 weapons taken off the streets and more than 500 arrests.
The week-long initiative, which ended on Sunday, had a storm focus on schools as pupils gear up for the summer holiday with the Met teaming up with City of London Police and British Transport Police.
Last week Safer Schools officers gave 149 separate presentations to pupils to highlight the potentially devastating consequences of carry a knife.
Weapon sweeps were carried out across most boroughs, including neighbouring Tower Hamlets which resulted in the discovery of a killer zombie knife which had been taped behind an electricity junction box on a housing estate in Mile End.
You may also want to watch:
Acting Detective Chief Superintendent Sean Yates said: “We know the summer period can see an increase in knife crime so are ensuring we take positive action to try and prevent offences by working with our fellow police colleagues to remove knives and offensive weapons before any harm is caused.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues