VIDEO: Community safety meeting following murder of Ajmol Alom in Poplar
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Tower Hamlets heard concerns about residents’ safety last night following the tragic murder of 16-year-old Ajmol Alom.
The public meeting, held in the Teviot Centre in Wyvis Street, Poplar, was attended by Mayor Lutfur Rahman, Deputy Mayor and Lead Member for community safety Ohid Ahmed, police Borough Commander Ch Supt Dave Stringer, housing association Poplar HARCA’s head of ASB Jamie Lock, and council officers.
Following the stabbing the keen boxer and star pupil at Langdon Park School on August 14, police officers have been conducting high visibility patrols to reassure the community and the Town Hall as promised to review safety arrangements in the local area.
Three men have been arrested and Aminur Khan, 19, of Robin Hood Gardens, was charged with his murder and remanded in custody until a further hearing scheduled for November 4.
Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact the Police Incident Room on 0208 358 0100 or remain anonymous by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
To view a full video of the public meeting, click on the multimedia link above.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 3 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 7 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences