VIDEO: Community safety meeting following murder of Ajmol Alom in Poplar
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Tower Hamlets heard concerns about residents’ safety last night following the tragic murder of 16-year-old Ajmol Alom.
The public meeting, held in the Teviot Centre in Wyvis Street, Poplar, was attended by Mayor Lutfur Rahman, Deputy Mayor and Lead Member for community safety Ohid Ahmed, police Borough Commander Ch Supt Dave Stringer, housing association Poplar HARCA’s head of ASB Jamie Lock, and council officers.
Following the stabbing the keen boxer and star pupil at Langdon Park School on August 14, police officers have been conducting high visibility patrols to reassure the community and the Town Hall as promised to review safety arrangements in the local area.
Three men have been arrested and Aminur Khan, 19, of Robin Hood Gardens, was charged with his murder and remanded in custody until a further hearing scheduled for November 4.
Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact the Police Incident Room on 0208 358 0100 or remain anonymous by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
To view a full video of the public meeting, click on the multimedia link above.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 3 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 4 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 5 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 8 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood