VIDEO: Community safety meeting following murder of Ajmol Alom in Poplar
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Tower Hamlets heard concerns about residents’ safety last night following the tragic murder of 16-year-old Ajmol Alom.
The public meeting, held in the Teviot Centre in Wyvis Street, Poplar, was attended by Mayor Lutfur Rahman, Deputy Mayor and Lead Member for community safety Ohid Ahmed, police Borough Commander Ch Supt Dave Stringer, housing association Poplar HARCA’s head of ASB Jamie Lock, and council officers.
Following the stabbing the keen boxer and star pupil at Langdon Park School on August 14, police officers have been conducting high visibility patrols to reassure the community and the Town Hall as promised to review safety arrangements in the local area.
Three men have been arrested and Aminur Khan, 19, of Robin Hood Gardens, was charged with his murder and remanded in custody until a further hearing scheduled for November 4.
Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact the Police Incident Room on 0208 358 0100 or remain anonymous by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
To view a full video of the public meeting, click on the multimedia link above.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 8 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing