Video: CCTV appeal after Canning Town shopkeeper is punched and threatened with metal bar in robbery over eggs theft
- Credit: Met Police
Police investigating a violent robbery of a shopkeeper have released CCTV footage of four men wanted in connection with the incident.
The 41-year-old shopkeeper, who was alone in the premises at the time, tried to prevent a man from stealing two trays of eggs from the store in Hermit Road, Canning Town.
He chased the man into the street where he was confronted by the same person along with three other men.
When the shopkeeper tried to retreat back inside, he was followed by the four suspects who then kicked and punched him.
They brandished a bottle and hit the retailer over the head with it after he tried to fight back.
You may also want to watch:
He was also threatened with a metal bar but managed to grab it from his assailants.
During the attack, one of the suspects walked behind the counter and stole cash from the till.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
All four men then fled the scene and got into a black vehicle which drove off in the direction of Bethell Avenue.
Detectives now wish to speak with four men following the robbery at 8:55am on October 23 last year.
They are all described as being of Asian appearance and are aged 19 to 24.
The first suspect had a beard and wore his hair in small bun. He was wearing a green jacket and dark shorts.
The second suspect had a long beard and was wearing a grey North Face jacket and grey Adidas tracksuit trousers.
Suspect three was wearing a black Raiders hooded top and an ankle-length grey garment with stripes resembling a sarong. He had facial hair.
Suspect four had a beard and was wearing a black Adidas tracksuit with white stripes.
Pc Jim Hollick said: “This was a vicious, cowardly attack on a man who was simply doing his job. It is lucky that the victim’s injuries were not more serious.
“We are determined to bring those responsible for this robbery to justice.”
Anyone with information should contact police via 101, on Twitter @MetCC or to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.