Upton Park mother ‘plotted to kill over lewd photos’
Court hears mother ‘ordered murder to protect daughter’
A mother plotted to have a man killed after he posted topless photos of her underage daughter on the internet, a court has heard
Gedu Bibi, 47, of Priory Road, Upton Park, allegedly arranged for a former lover to bludgeon Sumon Miah to death with a table leg after he uploaded the photos of his 13-year-old girlfriend, Shuhina Khanam.
She then convinced the teenager to lie to police and claim that she had hit him after he lunged at her with a knife at the family’s home, jurors at the Old Bailey heard.
Her 12-year-old brother, was also allegedly bullied into backing up the false story, the prosecution claim.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Miah, 21, fell into a coma and died in hospital nine days later after suffering a fractured skull and brain damage during the attack.
Crispin Aylett QC, prosecuting, said the hospital shop worker never regained consciousness and never gave an account to police.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
- 10 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
Detectives later closed the case after concluding that any jury would decide Shuhina had acted in self-defence.
But the case was eventually reviewed.
Mr Miah was allegedly beaten to death by 48-year-old cafe owner Lilu Miah (no relation) at Bibi’s home in Walthamstow on October 8, 2006.
Just days before the killing, Mr Miah is said to have shown Bibi four lewd photos of her daughter on the internet.
“The prosecution suggest that it must have been the topless photographs of Shuhina,” said Mr Aylett.
Following his death, a friend handed his phone to the police.
“The photographs were still in the memory of the telephone,” he added.
“It seems likely that these photographs were the trigger for the show-down that took place that day.”
Bibi and Lilu Miah, of no fixed address, both deny murder, while Bibi also denies a separate count of perverting the course of justice.
Lilu Miah and Dobir Miah, from Leicester, deny conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
At the home police found the victim breathing,but motionless.
Asked what happened, Shuhina is said to have replied: “He got a knife out from his clothing, I went to the kitchen to get a piece of wood. “When I came back, I hit him with the wood.”
The trial continues.