Update: Murder probe launched after young man, 18, killed in Custom House
A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a young man in Newham.
Police were called to Gill Avenue, Custom House, shortly after 6.15pm last night following reports of an injured male.
On arrival officers found a male with injuries consistent with stab wounds.
London Ambulance Service and the London Air Ambulance were also called to the scene.
But despite their efforts to keep him alive, the 18-year-old victim was pronounced dead at the scene at 6.50pm.
You may also want to watch:
Next of kin are aware but formal identification has not taken place. A post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course, said a Scotland Yard spokesman.
There have been no arrests.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
An incident room has opened in Barking under Det Chief Insp John MacDonald of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command.
He said: “We believe that the victim may have been chased from Butchers Road at the junction of Hooper Road down into Boreham Avenue, Custom House. The people chasing him comprised of a group of black males.”
It is understood the victim has throat injuries.
Anyone with information or witnesses can contacted the incident room on
(020) 8345 3985 or anonymously on Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.