Two teens arrested after police chase of suspected robbers ends in Canning Town moped crash
- Credit: Google maps
Two boys aged 15 and 16 were arrested after a police pursuit of a suspected stolen moped resulted in a middle-of-the-night crash.
The 15-year-old, who is currently in a east London hospital, is said to “possibly have life-changing injuries”.
Officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road at 3.30am after responding to reports of two riders seen driving without wearing helmets.
After a “short pursuit” a man was said to have came off the moped at the junction of Mary Street in Canning Town.
Police made a subsequent check and found the moped “had been reported as lost or stolen”.
You may also want to watch:
A 16-year-old was arrested on suspicion of taking the vehicle and driving away, failing to stop and robbery.
His passenger, 15, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and allowing his self to be carried on a stolen vehicle.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Rush-hour traffic chaos ensured as the immediate area was blocked off for several hours afterwards leading to local road diversions.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) were both informed “as is routine”.
He said: “At 3.30am officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road as both motorists were seen not wearing a helmet.
“There was a short pursuit and both men came off the moped.
“Both were taken to hospital but their injuries were said to be non life-threatening. Enquiries continue.”