Two teens arrested after police chase of suspected robbers ends in Canning Town moped crash
- Credit: Google maps
Two boys aged 15 and 16 were arrested after a police pursuit of a suspected stolen moped resulted in a middle-of-the-night crash.
The 15-year-old, who is currently in a east London hospital, is said to “possibly have life-changing injuries”.
Officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road at 3.30am after responding to reports of two riders seen driving without wearing helmets.
After a “short pursuit” a man was said to have came off the moped at the junction of Mary Street in Canning Town.
Police made a subsequent check and found the moped “had been reported as lost or stolen”.
You may also want to watch:
A 16-year-old was arrested on suspicion of taking the vehicle and driving away, failing to stop and robbery.
His passenger, 15, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and allowing his self to be carried on a stolen vehicle.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 4 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 5 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
Rush-hour traffic chaos ensured as the immediate area was blocked off for several hours afterwards leading to local road diversions.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) were both informed “as is routine”.
He said: “At 3.30am officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road as both motorists were seen not wearing a helmet.
“There was a short pursuit and both men came off the moped.
“Both were taken to hospital but their injuries were said to be non life-threatening. Enquiries continue.”