Two teens arrested after police chase of suspected robbers ends in Canning Town moped crash
- Credit: Google maps
Two boys aged 15 and 16 were arrested after a police pursuit of a suspected stolen moped resulted in a middle-of-the-night crash.
The 15-year-old, who is currently in a east London hospital, is said to “possibly have life-changing injuries”.
Officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road at 3.30am after responding to reports of two riders seen driving without wearing helmets.
After a “short pursuit” a man was said to have came off the moped at the junction of Mary Street in Canning Town.
Police made a subsequent check and found the moped “had been reported as lost or stolen”.
You may also want to watch:
A 16-year-old was arrested on suspicion of taking the vehicle and driving away, failing to stop and robbery.
His passenger, 15, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and allowing his self to be carried on a stolen vehicle.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
Rush-hour traffic chaos ensured as the immediate area was blocked off for several hours afterwards leading to local road diversions.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) were both informed “as is routine”.
He said: “At 3.30am officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road as both motorists were seen not wearing a helmet.
“There was a short pursuit and both men came off the moped.
“Both were taken to hospital but their injuries were said to be non life-threatening. Enquiries continue.”