Two teens arrested after police chase of suspected robbers ends in Canning Town moped crash
- Credit: Google maps
Two boys aged 15 and 16 were arrested after a police pursuit of a suspected stolen moped resulted in a middle-of-the-night crash.
The 15-year-old, who is currently in a east London hospital, is said to “possibly have life-changing injuries”.
Officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road at 3.30am after responding to reports of two riders seen driving without wearing helmets.
After a “short pursuit” a man was said to have came off the moped at the junction of Mary Street in Canning Town.
Police made a subsequent check and found the moped “had been reported as lost or stolen”.
A 16-year-old was arrested on suspicion of taking the vehicle and driving away, failing to stop and robbery.
His passenger, 15, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and allowing his self to be carried on a stolen vehicle.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 3 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 4 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 5 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 6 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 7 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 8 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 9 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 10 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
Rush-hour traffic chaos ensured as the immediate area was blocked off for several hours afterwards leading to local road diversions.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) were both informed “as is routine”.
He said: “At 3.30am officers attempted to stop a moped in Barking Road as both motorists were seen not wearing a helmet.
“There was a short pursuit and both men came off the moped.
“Both were taken to hospital but their injuries were said to be non life-threatening. Enquiries continue.”