Two men from Newham are jailed for killing Raja Ali from Elm Park in Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been jailed for a total of 27 years for the brutal killing of a man who was beaten and stabbed 13 times.
Raja Ali, 33, from Elm Park, died after he was chased and killed by Abubaker Omar-Bana, 26, of Rochford Close, East Ham, and Jordon Archambie, 20, of Hesketh Road, Forest Gate.
Last week both were found guilty of his manslaughter and on Monday Omar-Bana was jailed for 15 years and Archambie was handed down a 12 year sentence.
Jurors heard Raja, who has a six-year-old daughter, was knifed 13 times and beaten with a variety of weapons including a hammer, metal poles, baseball bats during the brutal attack on September 25 last year.
Zakar Yunas, 22, of Rokeby Street, Stratford, Mussa Jalo, 21, of Norfolk Road, Dagenham, and Daniel Paul Welch, 34, of Winstead Gardens, Dagenham, were all convicted of violent disorder.
You may also want to watch:
Yunas was jailed for four years and Jalo and Welch were sentenced to three years.
- 1 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 2 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 3 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 4 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 5 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
The court heard claims Raja, a suspected drug dealer, was killed on the order of another dealer due to a dispute.
He was lured to his death by a fake deal.
His killing was not captured on CCTV but police recovered footage that shows Raja parked up in Stansgate Road, with two friends shortly before a Mitsubishi Shogun rammed the car from behind.
Seconds later a Renault Megane blocked the vehicle in before six men armed with an arsenal of weapons chased Raja and his friends down the street.
One of his friends was attacked by two of the men while his other pal managed to run away and hide but Raja was chased into Braintree Road and fatally attacked.
Mobile phone records, forensics and CCTV footage identified Bana, Jalo, Welch, Yunas and Archambie at the scene and they were subsequently arrested.
Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, investigating officer, said: “This was a pre-planned and orchestrated attack.
“Regardless of what Raja’s intentions were that night, when he arranged to meet these men he should not have lost his life.
“I hope Raja’s grieving family are able to move forward knowing his attackers have now been brought to justice.”