Two in court over East Ham businessman’s murder
- Credit: West Midlands Police
A businessman and a student appeared in court this morning charged with killing an East Ham grandfather.
Suraj Mistry, 26, and Lemar Wali, 18, appeared via video link at Birmingham Crown Court accused of killing 56-year-old company director Akhtar Javeed during an alleged attempted robbery.
Mistry, of Laundon Way, Leicester, and Wali, of Osmaston Park Road, Derby, are both also charged with conspiracy to commit robbery and possession of a handgun.
The two were remanded back in custody, where they have been since their arrest, until a plea and case management hearing on Monday, May 9 at the same court.
A trial date was also set by Judge Patrick Thomas QC for Monday June 20.
You may also want to watch:
The judge told the men: “We’re doing the best to get your trial on as soon as we can, in everybody’s interest.”
He was killed in what police have described as an attempted robbery at the Direct Source 3 Ltd premises in the Digbeth area of Birmingham on Wednesday, February 3.
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 4 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 9 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
- 10 Fares Maatou death: Teens plead not guilty to murder
Two other men have been arrested for conspiracy to commit robbery in connection with Mr Javeed’s death.