Trial of Newham men accused of Raja Ali murder begins
- Credit: Met police
An alleged drug dealer was stabbed to death after a rival gang set him up in a carjacking ambush caught on CCTV, a court has heard.
Raja Ali, 33, was allegedly boxed in by attackers from Newham and Dagenham who were armed with weapons including a hammer, baseball bat and at least one knife.
After trying to flee his car, he was stabbed 13 times in Braintree Road, Dagenham, on September 25 last year.
Five men are standing trial at the Old Bailey accused of Mr Ali’s murder.
Abubaker Omar-Bana, 26, of Rochford Close, East Ham, allegedly organised the attack and drove a Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 which was involved.
You may also want to watch:
Mussa Jalo, 21, of Norfolk Road, Dagenham, stands accused of leading the attack with the hammer and baseball bat, jurors were told.
Daniel Welsh, 34, of Dagenham, was allegedly responsible for setting up Mr Ali, while Zakar Yunas, 22, of Rokeby Street, Stratford and Jordan Archambie, of Hesketh Road, Forest Gate, allegedly chased and attacked Mr Ali from the red Renault Megane they were sitting in.
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
The two other men accused of being involved in the attack fled to France on the Eurostar, the court heard.
Prosecutor Simon Denison QC told jurors how Mr Ali, who came from Elm Park, had dealt in crack cocaine and heroin.
The victim was targeted by drug rivals in a plan to “put him out of business”.
Mr Denison said: “He and two friends sat in his car waiting for what they thought was to be a drugs deal.
“In fact, they had been set up by a rival drugs gang so that they could attack him and cause him severe injury or worse and put him out of business.”
The court heard how Mr Ali’s car was rammed by the Mitsubishi before the Megane pulled up alongside it and the attackers got out armed with weapons.
As the victim’s car was smashed up with a hammer and baseball bat, he and two other occupants tried to make their escape.
Mr Ali was chased into Braintree Road where he was repeatedly stabbed, the court heard.
Jurors heard that several CCTV cameras had captured the attack and they will have to watch repeat footage of the events.
They will also listen to telephone evidence between the defendants as they allegedly planned the attack.
All the defendants have denied murder.
Bana, Jalo and Archambie have admitted violent disorder while their co-accused have pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Mr Denison suggested a key issue for jurors would be whether the attack was meant to be on Mr Ali’s car or to cause really serious injury to the victim.
Additional reporting by Press Association. The trial continues.