Three Newham police officers investigated over alleged racist comments
Three more Newham-based police officers have been placed on restricted duties following allegations of racist comments being made within a group of officers.
An acting uniformed police sergeant and two Pcs have been referred to the IPCC after the incidents, which are alleged to have happened between January 6 and March 15 this year.
The allegations were brought to the attention of the Directorate of Professional Standards, the body responsible for investigating complaints against police officers, on March 19.
Commander Peter Spindler, MPS Directorate of Professional Standards, said: “These are serious allegations that are being thoroughly investigated so that robust action can be taken if proven.
“The Commissioner has already stated there is no place for racist behaviour in the MPS and we will work with the IPCC to identify any wrongdoing.”
You may also want to watch:
It comes days after Met Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan Howe called on his officers to report any inappropriate behaviour by colleagues.
His instruction followed the suspension of a Newham police officer after a Beckton man recorded an officer allegedly racially abusing him during an arrest made during the London riots in August last year.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 9 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 10 Recognising the importance of crossing thresholds as lockdown eases
Another officer was placed on restricted duties after it was claimed he assaulted a teenager hours later.