Three Newham police officers investigated over alleged racist comments
Three more Newham-based police officers have been placed on restricted duties following allegations of racist comments being made within a group of officers.
An acting uniformed police sergeant and two Pcs have been referred to the IPCC after the incidents, which are alleged to have happened between January 6 and March 15 this year.
The allegations were brought to the attention of the Directorate of Professional Standards, the body responsible for investigating complaints against police officers, on March 19.
Commander Peter Spindler, MPS Directorate of Professional Standards, said: “These are serious allegations that are being thoroughly investigated so that robust action can be taken if proven.
“The Commissioner has already stated there is no place for racist behaviour in the MPS and we will work with the IPCC to identify any wrongdoing.”
It comes days after Met Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan Howe called on his officers to report any inappropriate behaviour by colleagues.
His instruction followed the suspension of a Newham police officer after a Beckton man recorded an officer allegedly racially abusing him during an arrest made during the London riots in August last year.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 4 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
Another officer was placed on restricted duties after it was claimed he assaulted a teenager hours later.