Three Newham police officers investigated over alleged racist comments
Three more Newham-based police officers have been placed on restricted duties following allegations of racist comments being made within a group of officers.
An acting uniformed police sergeant and two Pcs have been referred to the IPCC after the incidents, which are alleged to have happened between January 6 and March 15 this year.
The allegations were brought to the attention of the Directorate of Professional Standards, the body responsible for investigating complaints against police officers, on March 19.
Commander Peter Spindler, MPS Directorate of Professional Standards, said: “These are serious allegations that are being thoroughly investigated so that robust action can be taken if proven.
“The Commissioner has already stated there is no place for racist behaviour in the MPS and we will work with the IPCC to identify any wrongdoing.”
You may also want to watch:
It comes days after Met Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan Howe called on his officers to report any inappropriate behaviour by colleagues.
His instruction followed the suspension of a Newham police officer after a Beckton man recorded an officer allegedly racially abusing him during an arrest made during the London riots in August last year.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 10 Stratford dance and music hub gets £700k boost
Another officer was placed on restricted duties after it was claimed he assaulted a teenager hours later.