Beniamin Pieknyi killing: Defendants from Dagenham, Stratford and Romford in the dock
- Credit: MPS
A witness in the Beniamin Pieknyi murder trial told the court today he’d pleaded with the alleged attacker, telling him “it’s not worth it”.
Mr Pieknyi, 21, was visiting a friend at the Stratford centre on March 20 when he was fatally stabbed.
Alexis Varela, 19, of Lillechurch Road, Dagenham, Moses Kasule, 20, of Ribbons Walk, Stratford, Kevin Duarte, 19, of no fixed address, and Mario Zvavame, 18, of Crow Lane, Romford, have denied charges of manslaughter and violent disorder.
At the Old Bailey, the court heard how Mr Pieknyi was with his friend Alexander Suciu, 25, in the shopping centre just before 9.30pm. Mr Suciu was approached by Mr Varela riding a bike with Mr Duarte on the handlebars. The bike drove past him again shortly after, with one of the men appearing to touch him on the head.
The figures on the bike approached Mr Sucia a final time while he was standing outside Poundland, waiting for Beniamin to buy drinks. CCTV footage shows Mr Sucia approach the men on the bike, who dismount, and are joined by three others.
You may also want to watch:
A fight broke out between the men, with Mr Pieknyi leaving Poundland to come to his friend’s aid. Footage shows Mr Yakymchuk taking Mr Suciu’s glasses, before a security guard arrives to break up the fight.
A witness, who was walking through the centre after collecting a bottle of rum from a friend, described to the court seeing the men fighting in a “scrum”.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
He said: “It was a cluster of people.
“I heard a lot of swearing. I said to them, ‘stop it, it’s not worth it’.
“I’m sick of kids wasting their lives.”
The men moved towards Subway, at the entrance of the Stratford centre, where CCTV appears to show Mr Yakymchuk producing an object from his trousers. Mr Pieknyi is injured and the group of men run away, leaving Mr Suciu with his friend.
Mr Pieknyi, a takeaway worker from Romania who’d come to England just months before, was pronounced dead an hour later. He died from a stab wound to his chest.
Vlayslav Yakymchuk, 23, has pleaded guilty to Mr Pieknyi’s murder.
The trial continues.