Three men arrested in connection with killing of former Newham College student
- Credit: Met Police
Three men have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old former Newham College student last Tuesday.
Detectives investigating the death of Abdifatah Sheikhey, who was known as Abdi, arrested three men in the early hours of the morning.
The men, two aged 23 and one aged 21, remain in custody at an east London police station.
Abdi, 19, from Poplar, a former Wanstead High School and Newham College student, was shot with a handgun around 9.50pm on March 21, as he sat in the passenger seat of a black Mercedes saloon in Woodlands Road, Ilford.
A person got out of a white BMW X4, armed with a handgun, and shot Abdi, police believe.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives say the vehicle containing Abdi was driven the short distance to Bedford Road, where he was discovered by a good samaritan and given first aid.
Paramedics battled to save his life but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 11.22pm.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Yasar Ahmed, 20, of Manor Park, who went to Newham College with Abdi, said he was a “cheerful guy who always had a smile on his face”.
“Two weeks before the incident we applied for jobs together,” Yasar added.
The college’s principal, Di Gowland, said: “We are extremely saddened to hear of the tragic death of Abdi Sheikhey.
“Abdi was a former student at Newham college having studied and passed a motor vehicle course in 2013/14. Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with his family.”
Police are still appealing for information.
Any witnesses, or anyone with any information, is asked to call detectives at the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or police on 101, or via Twitter @MetCC.
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via the crimestoppers-uk.org web site.