Three men arrested in connection with killing of former Newham College student
- Credit: Met Police
Three men have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old former Newham College student last Tuesday.
Detectives investigating the death of Abdifatah Sheikhey, who was known as Abdi, arrested three men in the early hours of the morning.
The men, two aged 23 and one aged 21, remain in custody at an east London police station.
Abdi, 19, from Poplar, a former Wanstead High School and Newham College student, was shot with a handgun around 9.50pm on March 21, as he sat in the passenger seat of a black Mercedes saloon in Woodlands Road, Ilford.
A person got out of a white BMW X4, armed with a handgun, and shot Abdi, police believe.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives say the vehicle containing Abdi was driven the short distance to Bedford Road, where he was discovered by a good samaritan and given first aid.
Paramedics battled to save his life but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 11.22pm.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
Yasar Ahmed, 20, of Manor Park, who went to Newham College with Abdi, said he was a “cheerful guy who always had a smile on his face”.
“Two weeks before the incident we applied for jobs together,” Yasar added.
The college’s principal, Di Gowland, said: “We are extremely saddened to hear of the tragic death of Abdi Sheikhey.
“Abdi was a former student at Newham college having studied and passed a motor vehicle course in 2013/14. Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with his family.”
Police are still appealing for information.
Any witnesses, or anyone with any information, is asked to call detectives at the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or police on 101, or via Twitter @MetCC.
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via the crimestoppers-uk.org web site.