Three men arrested in connection with killing of former Newham College student
- Credit: Met Police
Three men have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old former Newham College student last Tuesday.
Detectives investigating the death of Abdifatah Sheikhey, who was known as Abdi, arrested three men in the early hours of the morning.
The men, two aged 23 and one aged 21, remain in custody at an east London police station.
Abdi, 19, from Poplar, a former Wanstead High School and Newham College student, was shot with a handgun around 9.50pm on March 21, as he sat in the passenger seat of a black Mercedes saloon in Woodlands Road, Ilford.
A person got out of a white BMW X4, armed with a handgun, and shot Abdi, police believe.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives say the vehicle containing Abdi was driven the short distance to Bedford Road, where he was discovered by a good samaritan and given first aid.
Paramedics battled to save his life but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 11.22pm.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 There's huge belief in the team insists West Ham loanee Jesse Lingard
- 3 Player ratings: Lingard and Bowen guide Hammers back into the top four
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes hailed players in Leicester City victory
- 6 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 7 Elections, Ron Dyer, Islamophobia and Covid
- 8 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 9 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 10 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
Yasar Ahmed, 20, of Manor Park, who went to Newham College with Abdi, said he was a “cheerful guy who always had a smile on his face”.
“Two weeks before the incident we applied for jobs together,” Yasar added.
The college’s principal, Di Gowland, said: “We are extremely saddened to hear of the tragic death of Abdi Sheikhey.
“Abdi was a former student at Newham college having studied and passed a motor vehicle course in 2013/14. Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with his family.”
Police are still appealing for information.
Any witnesses, or anyone with any information, is asked to call detectives at the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or police on 101, or via Twitter @MetCC.
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via the crimestoppers-uk.org web site.