Third chance for fly-tipper who dumped builder’s rubble, gardening waste and mattresses in East Ham
- Credit: Archant
A serial fly-tipper who dumped builder’s rubble, gardening waste and mattresses in East Ham has been given a suspended prison sentence.
Peter Carpel from Purfleet, Essex, who has two previous convictions for fly-tipping, admitted he had been paid to take the rubbish but dumped it to maximise his profit.
Thames Magistrates Court heard he left 69 bags of builder’s rubble, 21 bags of gardening waste, three mattresses and a bed-frame in Watson Avenue, in February this year.
Carpel was warned by the magistrate that he was giving him one last chance “to get his act together” hence giving him a 12 weeks prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.
He must also pay a total of £1,165, including £1,000 costs to the council.
Councillor Forhad Hussain, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “It is frustrating that a career criminal, who dumps rubbish on our streets for financial gain, has been spared jail.
“This man has two previous convictions for fly-tipping and yet has been given another chance.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 4 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
“I doubt that our residents, who are forced to endure this kind of filth on the streets where their children play, would have much sympathy with second, and in this case third chances, and frankly neither do I.”