Fares Maatou death: Teens plead not guilty to murder
Emily Pennink, PA
- Credit: MPS
Two teenagers have denied murdering 14-year-old Fares Maatou in Canning Town.
Fares was fatally stabbed on the afternoon of Friday April 23.
He was pronounced dead outside a pizza restaurant in Barking Road.
Two 15-year-old boys appeared at the Old Bailey via video link from youth custody.
They pleaded not guilty to murder and possession of an offensive weapon in public “without authority or reasonable excuse”.
The court heard that proceedings against a third teenager accused of assisting an offender had been dropped.
Judge Philip Katz QC set a provisional four-week trial for August 8 2022.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 7 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Late Maupay equaliser holds West Ham to Brighton draw