Teenagers shot in Plaistow
- Credit: Archant
Two teenage boys received gunshot injuries in Plaistow last night.
The 17-year-olds were found in Prince Regent Lane after police were called to reports of shots being fired at about 8.15pm.
The teenagers were taken to hospital and are currently in a stable condition.
Detectives from the Trident Gang Crime Command are investigating, with Det Sgt Jim Eastwood saying: “I am appealing for witnesses who may have been present at the time the incident took place to contact police.
“I would like to reassure any potential witnesses who may be worried about making contact with police that Trident has extensive expertise in protecting witnesses and there are a range of measures that can be taken to protect you.”
You may also want to watch:
No arrests have been made and inquiries continue.
A 44-year-old man who lives just off Prince Regent Lane, and asked not to be named, said: “It’s hardly surprising.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues
“It’s rife with crime round here. There’s just not enough for young people to do, or enough jobs in the borough.”
A 46-year-old business owner who has lived on Prince Regent Lane for more than 30 years, but asked not to be named, said: “This isn’t the first time we’ve seen things happen like this and it really affects our trade.
“The area is improving, gradually, but people are put off coming here after dark because of the large groups of youth hanging around on street corners.
“Most of the time it’s harmless, but it can keep people away.”
If you have any information, call the Trident investigation room on 020 8317 7374 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.