Teenager is cleared of stabbing boy on his way home from birthday party
A teenager accused of stabbing a 16-year-old boy in the heart after a birthday party walked free from court last week.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, was said to have attacked Daniel Alaile in a Beckton street as he made his way home.
Though Daniel survived due to emergency open-heart surgery, he was left wheelchair-bound after developing a clotting disorder.
He later named the defendant as his attacker but defence lawyers claimed he was mistaken and suggested his memory was affected by his injury and illness.
The 17-year-old was cleared of attempted murder after a trial at the Old Bailey and was discharged from the dock.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel had gone to a girl’s 16th birthday party in Neatscourt Road, Beckton, on January 9 last year.
“At some point a group of boys turned up at the address, at least some of them came from the Custom House area of Newham,” said prosecutor Alex Lewis.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 6 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 7 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 8 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 9 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season
- 10 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
“That resulted in a confrontation with some of the teenagers at the party. There was a stand-off and an agreement was made not to fight and the party continued.
“Some time later Daniel Alaile and his friends left the party to go home. One of his friends was confronted by some of the Custom House boys.”
The attacker walked over to Daniel and suggested they have a friendly talk before suddenly stabbing him once in the chest.
Daniel was found collapsed in the doorway of a house in Osprey Close, Beckton, at about 9pm.
Surgeons repaired two stab wounds to the left ventricle of the heart but he had to have a series of follow-up operations and is now confined to a wheelchair.
Miss Lewis told the Old Bailey: “The Crown suggest the attack on Daniel Alaile was premeditated and cowardly.”
The teenage suspect denied attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon.
He was cleared of the second charge by order of the judge.