Teenager is cleared of stabbing boy on his way home from birthday party
A teenager accused of stabbing a 16-year-old boy in the heart after a birthday party walked free from court last week.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, was said to have attacked Daniel Alaile in a Beckton street as he made his way home.
Though Daniel survived due to emergency open-heart surgery, he was left wheelchair-bound after developing a clotting disorder.
He later named the defendant as his attacker but defence lawyers claimed he was mistaken and suggested his memory was affected by his injury and illness.
The 17-year-old was cleared of attempted murder after a trial at the Old Bailey and was discharged from the dock.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel had gone to a girl’s 16th birthday party in Neatscourt Road, Beckton, on January 9 last year.
“At some point a group of boys turned up at the address, at least some of them came from the Custom House area of Newham,” said prosecutor Alex Lewis.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
“That resulted in a confrontation with some of the teenagers at the party. There was a stand-off and an agreement was made not to fight and the party continued.
“Some time later Daniel Alaile and his friends left the party to go home. One of his friends was confronted by some of the Custom House boys.”
The attacker walked over to Daniel and suggested they have a friendly talk before suddenly stabbing him once in the chest.
Daniel was found collapsed in the doorway of a house in Osprey Close, Beckton, at about 9pm.
Surgeons repaired two stab wounds to the left ventricle of the heart but he had to have a series of follow-up operations and is now confined to a wheelchair.
Miss Lewis told the Old Bailey: “The Crown suggest the attack on Daniel Alaile was premeditated and cowardly.”
The teenage suspect denied attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon.
He was cleared of the second charge by order of the judge.