Teenager arrested after six injured in Stratford noxious substance attack

Emergency services at Stratford Centre in east London, following a suspected noxious substance attac

Emergency services at Stratford Centre in east London, following a suspected noxious substance attack where six people have been reported injured. Picture: PA Wire

A teenager has been arrested after six people were injured in a noxious substance attack in Stratford on Saturday evening.

The 15-year-old boy was held on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm in connection to the incident inside Stratford Shopping Centre just before 8pm.

Three of the victims were hospitalised after the liquid was thrown on them during what police say was an “altercation” between two groups of males. Their injuries are described as not life threatening or life changing.

Onlookers reported both the suspects and victims fled the scene after the incident, with some running into Stratford tube station.

London Ambulance Service crews, including the hazardous response team, and the London Fire Brigade also attended to treat those injured.

The teenager was questioned at an east London police station and later bailed to a date in late October.

Enquiries continue with officers from Newham investigating.

Most Read

The borough commander for Newham, Chief Supt Ade Adelekan, said: “I would like to be very clear concerning this incident. What initially may have been perceived as a number of random attacks has, on closer inspection, been found to be one incident involving two groups of males.

“I recognise the lasting impact on victims of corrosive substance attacks. Our response to such attacks is continually improving through training and joint working with partners and we are working with the Home Office to explore possible restrictions around the sale of corrosive substances in conjunction with retailers and manufacturers.”

Paul Gibson, assistant director of operations at London Ambulance Service, said: “We were called to the incident at 8.07pm and sent a number of resources including ambulance crews, paramedics in cars and members of our hazardous area response team.

“The first of our medics arrived within 10 minutes of the first emergency call and worked closely with our colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London Fire Brigade making sure patients received the medical help they needed as quickly as possible.”