Teenage thief spared jail
A TEENAGE father-of-two who took part in an ATM “distraction theft” to pay the bills after his wife became pregnant with twins has been spared jail.
Junaid Aslam, 19, from Church Road, Manor Park, sneaked up on Nina Merlusca and grabbed her Citibank card while she was looking the other way.
He has already served a six month prison sentence for a similar offence on a male bank customer during the same period.
Following his release he was linked to the attack on Ms Merlusca on March 14 last year.
But this time he was let off with a community order involving 12 months supervision by the Probation Service.
You may also want to watch:
The Old Bailey heard he came to the UK as a child after both his parents were murdered by the Taliban.
He earned several GCSEs and got a job with customer services for an airline but lost his job.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 5 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 8 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 9 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 10 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
His barrister Di Middleton told the court: “Adult life has come upon him quite quickly.
“Having gone to prison he really did miss his babies and feels remorseful and sorry.”
The judge, Mr Recorder Vivian Robinson QC, said: “If I had to sentence you today without your having served already a sentence of imprisonment for an identical offence you would be going to prison immediately.
“I am told you are trying to put your life together. In those circumstances I propose to impose upon you a community order.
“I have given you a chance. Don’t appear before the court again.”
Aslam pleaded guilty to theft.