Teenage thief spared jail
A TEENAGE father-of-two who took part in an ATM “distraction theft” to pay the bills after his wife became pregnant with twins has been spared jail.
Junaid Aslam, 19, from Church Road, Manor Park, sneaked up on Nina Merlusca and grabbed her Citibank card while she was looking the other way.
He has already served a six month prison sentence for a similar offence on a male bank customer during the same period.
Following his release he was linked to the attack on Ms Merlusca on March 14 last year.
But this time he was let off with a community order involving 12 months supervision by the Probation Service.
You may also want to watch:
The Old Bailey heard he came to the UK as a child after both his parents were murdered by the Taliban.
He earned several GCSEs and got a job with customer services for an airline but lost his job.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
His barrister Di Middleton told the court: “Adult life has come upon him quite quickly.
“Having gone to prison he really did miss his babies and feels remorseful and sorry.”
The judge, Mr Recorder Vivian Robinson QC, said: “If I had to sentence you today without your having served already a sentence of imprisonment for an identical offence you would be going to prison immediately.
“I am told you are trying to put your life together. In those circumstances I propose to impose upon you a community order.
“I have given you a chance. Don’t appear before the court again.”
Aslam pleaded guilty to theft.