Suspended sentence for Plaistow man who sexually assaulted teenager
- Credit: Google Maps
A Plaistow man who sexually assaulted a teenager at a Tube station has been handed a suspended sentence.
Athman Athman, of Surrey Street, was today given a four month prison term, suspended for two years, having previously admitted one count of sexual assault.
Blackfriars Crown Court heard how the 35-year-old was at a cash point outside Borough station at around 2.20pm on November 21 last year when a woman in her late teens walked past.
Athman asked for her name as she walked into the station and again when she entered the lift, where he stood very close to her. He also asked for her number, which she reluctantly entered into his phone as she felt intimidated by him.
On the Northern line platform, he then put his arm around her, touching her inappropriately. He also tried to kiss her twice, but she was able to pull herself free and jump on board a train.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer Pc Mark Luker saind Athman’s behaviour was “completely unacceptable” and added: “His inappropriate sexual advances and intimidating behaviour has absolutely no place on the London Underground network.
“No one should ever be subjected to unwanted sexual behaviour on the rail network and we continue to encourage victims to report offences.
- 1 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 2 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 6 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 10 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park
“If you are ever a victim of a sexual assault, please report it to us by sending a text to 61016.”