Sugar Lounge shootout: Video shows Kevin Powell shooting Michael Smith
This video shows Kevin Powell shooting Michael Smith at point blank range during an early morning shootout outside the Sugar Lounge in Forest Gate.
Both men were today jailed for 34 years each - Smith for double murder and Powell for attempted murder.
Smith, 28, unemployed, of Canning Town, was found guilty of murdering Eugene Brown, 27, and Patrick Ford, 36. He was given two life sentences at the Old Bailey with a minimum term of 34 years.
Powell, 37, a student, of Harlesden, was found guilty of attempting to murder Smith, following a retrial, and jailed for 34 years.
They were also each given concurrent 10-year terms for possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.
You may also want to watch:
Nana Oppong, 32, a cleaner, of Stratford, was previously cleared of murder and a firearms charge after two juries failed to reach verdicts. He was jailed for two years after being found guilty of perverting justice.
Mr Brown and Mr Ford were gunned down outside the club in Katherine Road, Forest Gate, east London, at 6am on May 29 2010. Smith shot them despite being surrounded by party-goers who spilled out on to the pavement after shots were fired into the ceiling of the club below a pub.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
He was later dumped at the doors of a hospital and recovered despite being shot six times including once in the head.
At least 24 bullets were fired at him, some becoming embedded in houses and one going through a living room window.