Sugar Lounge killings: Murderer in appeal failure
A gunman who murdered two revellers during a late-night party which turned into a bloodbath has failed to persuade top judges he did not get a fair trial.
Michael Alfonso Smith shot two men dead on May 29, 2010, outside the Sugar Lounge, in Katherine Road, Forest Gate, after a birthday party and was then shot himself by another man, suffering serious injury.
Smith, 28, unemployed, of Beaconsfield Road, Canning Town, was convicted at the Old Bailey in August last year of murdering Eugene Brown, 27, and Patrick Ford, 36, and was sentenced to life in prison for the pair of killings.
Last week he asked Lord Justice Richards, Mr Justice McCombe and Mr Justice Stuart-Smith, sitting at the Criminal Appeal Court, for permission to appeal against those convictions.
You may also want to watch:
Lawyers for Smith, who pleaded self-defence at his trial, told the judges he had not been given a fair chance to persuade the jury of his innocence and that he should have been tried separately from the man who shot him.
But Lord Justice Richards refused his challenge, saying: “The judge took all the necessary precautions to ensure the fairness of the trial and ensure that no defendant – including Smith – was at a disadvantage.”
- 1 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 2 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation