Stratford shooting victim named by police
- Credit: Archant
A teenager killed following a shooting near Maryland station has been named.
Police found Abdul Mayanja, from Plaistow, after reports of shots being fired in Well Street on Friday evening.
The 19-year-old was taken to hospital where he later died.
While formal identification and post-mortem tests await, his next of kin have been informed.
On Saturday, detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command launched a murder investigation into Abdul’s death.
You may also want to watch:
They believe he may have been with two women, described as black, around the time of the shooting.
“If you are those women we want to hear from you,” said investigation lead Det Chief Insp Will Reynolds. “I understand that they may be scared or reluctant to come forward but it is vital that we hear from them.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
He added: “We know he left his home address in his car at around 10pm and was then found injured by officers at 10.40pm, so we are keen to establish who he was with and his movements.”
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information should call police on 020 8721 4005 or anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.