Stratford man jailed for armed robbery of Plaistow betting shop
- Credit: Archant
A robber who stole more than £190 after threatening a lone betting shop cashier with a knife has been jailed for four years.
Daniel Gheroghe Dimofte, of Kennard Road, Stratford, was found guilty of robbery and sentenced on Wednesday following a two day trial.
Woolwich Crown Court heard that on October 17, 2014, a cashier was preparing to open the Coral betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow, when she noticed Dimofte waiting outside.
She unlocked the door, allowing the 31-year-old inside, and as she approached the door to the cash office she heard him say “give me the money.”
She turned and he grabbed her, holding a knife to her ribs while demanding money once more.
You may also want to watch:
Dimofte led the terrified woman into the cash office where he forced her at knife-point to empty the till.
He then calmly left the shop via the staff area, taking £190 in notes as well as some coins.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 9 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 10 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
CCTV in the betting shop captured the entire incident, providing clear images of Dimofte.
He was identified following an appeal on Crimewatch and arrested on May 13.
Det Con Mark Gladman of the Flying Squad said: “Dimofte, who represented himself after sacking two sets of solicitors, was found guilty by the jury in just over 25 minutes.
“This incident left the victim traumatised and unable to work for a month.
“This dangerous individual sought to fight this case through the court, despite the overwhelming evidence against him.
“This sentence will remove him from our streets for a number of years.”