Stratford man jailed for armed robbery of Plaistow betting shop
- Credit: Archant
A robber who stole more than £190 after threatening a lone betting shop cashier with a knife has been jailed for four years.
Daniel Gheroghe Dimofte, of Kennard Road, Stratford, was found guilty of robbery and sentenced on Wednesday following a two day trial.
Woolwich Crown Court heard that on October 17, 2014, a cashier was preparing to open the Coral betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow, when she noticed Dimofte waiting outside.
She unlocked the door, allowing the 31-year-old inside, and as she approached the door to the cash office she heard him say “give me the money.”
She turned and he grabbed her, holding a knife to her ribs while demanding money once more.
Dimofte led the terrified woman into the cash office where he forced her at knife-point to empty the till.
He then calmly left the shop via the staff area, taking £190 in notes as well as some coins.
- 1 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 2 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 3 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 4 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 5 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 6 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 7 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 8 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 9 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
CCTV in the betting shop captured the entire incident, providing clear images of Dimofte.
He was identified following an appeal on Crimewatch and arrested on May 13.
Det Con Mark Gladman of the Flying Squad said: “Dimofte, who represented himself after sacking two sets of solicitors, was found guilty by the jury in just over 25 minutes.
“This incident left the victim traumatised and unable to work for a month.
“This dangerous individual sought to fight this case through the court, despite the overwhelming evidence against him.
“This sentence will remove him from our streets for a number of years.”