Stratford Circus to host anti-knife, gun crime project
A project designed to help young people explore issues around guns, gangs and knives will take place in Stratford on Tuesday.
Street Life 2 has been organised by charity Community Links to co-ordinate young people’s response to the rise of knife and gun crime in Newham. The initiative encourages young people to explore the issues of guns, gangs and knives and to devise their own solutions to youth crime and anti-social behaviour.
Street Life 2: The Journey Begins will take place at Stratford Circus on April 8 in Theatre Square from 2.30pm to 5.30pm.
It is led by a steering group of young people from youth clubs and projects across the borough of Newham who are training to become mentors. It builds on a successful conference event attended by over 300 young people in 2012.
The event at Stratford Circus will involve a Question Time-style panel with guests including West Ham MP Lyn Brown, Detective Inspector Dave Coxell, Seyi Dymond Allen, youth mentor and crime prevention drama facilitator, Whitney Lylles from the 607 Project, Debbie Barber of the Youth Prevention Team, alongside families affected by knife crime. The event will also include a multi-media performance and personal stories told through drama, poetry and song. At the end of the day, the steering group and the participants will determine the strategy for the next phase of the project.
You may also want to watch:
Community Links Youth Operations Manager Richard Rowe said: “Street Life will equip young people with the relevant skills to ensure they are part of the consultation process, can make informed choices and socially educate other young people about the effects of knife and gun crime in their own communities.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing