Stop and search in operation at Stratford station
- Credit: Archant
Stop and search will be in operation at Stratford station this evening.
Police officers will be at the station, as well as at Ilford and Lewisham stations, and have the power to stop and search people anywhere within the stations and within a 200m radius outside them.
The order, known as a section 60, came into force at 4pm today (Friday) and will last until 7am tomorrow (Saturday).
Supt Paul Langley said: “Throughout this evening, passengers and rail staff can expect to see a higher than usual number of officers at these stations.
“The decision has not been taken lightly and is in response to a number of highly concerning incidents on the rail network, involving weapons or violence.
You may also want to watch:
“Today is one step in our fight back against violence and knife crime, and I hope that the majority of passengers will be reassured by the presence of my officers.”
People who see something that concerns them are asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40.
- 1 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 4 Three teenagers arrested after boy, 16, found stabbed in East Village
- 5 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 6 Man in hospital after 'acid attack' inside his home in Beckton
- 7 Why musician swapped working with pop stars to teaching Newham pupils
- 8 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 9 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 10 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month