Stop and search in operation at Stratford station
- Credit: Archant
Stop and search will be in operation at Stratford station this evening.
Police officers will be at the station, as well as at Ilford and Lewisham stations, and have the power to stop and search people anywhere within the stations and within a 200m radius outside them.
The order, known as a section 60, came into force at 4pm today (Friday) and will last until 7am tomorrow (Saturday).
Supt Paul Langley said: “Throughout this evening, passengers and rail staff can expect to see a higher than usual number of officers at these stations.
“The decision has not been taken lightly and is in response to a number of highly concerning incidents on the rail network, involving weapons or violence.
You may also want to watch:
“Today is one step in our fight back against violence and knife crime, and I hope that the majority of passengers will be reassured by the presence of my officers.”
People who see something that concerns them are asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 8 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash