Stolen jewellery worth £10,000 seized from Plaistow shop
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Police seized around £10,000 worth of jewellery from a suspect accused of funding an “extravagant lifestyle” by melting down stolen goods.
Officers from the Newham Crime Squad had been investigating the case, nicknamed Operation Antero, and raided the shop on Barking Road, Plaistow, on Tuesday June 4 where they also confiscated approximately £1,500 in criminal cash.
The owner of the jewellers was suspected of selling jewellery and gold bought from burglars and robbers in the area, then melting it down to hide any evidence.
A 55-year-old man from Maldon, Essex, was arrested and has been charged on suspicion of conspiring to enter into the acquistion, retention, use or control of criminal property.
The charge is known as a “lifestyle crime” so police have also submitted an application to seize any assets, from cars to houses, that add up to the value of the suspect’s profits from selling stolen goods.
You may also want to watch:
Det Chf Insp Alan Moore, lead officer for Acquisitive Crime at Newham police, said the suspect had an “extravagant lifestyle”.
DCI Moore added: “When helpless victims are robbed in the street, or people are burgled in their own homes, this has a severe impact on local residents and their communities.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 10 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
“We will do everything we can to prevent and detect these offenders and also those who facilitate their crimes.
“We at Newham police will pursue any criminal who knowingly handles stolen goods and will bring them to justice without fail.
“This method of targeting those who enable crime hits criminals hard, not only by the potential loss of liberty but also financially.”