Murder investigation launched as man, 61, dies after Plaistow Park attack
- Credit: Ken Mears
Murder squad detectives are investigating after a 61-year-old man died days after being assaulted in Plaistow Park.
Steven Kennedy, who lived in Plaistow, suffered a serious head injury after being attacked at around 11.35am on Thursday, May 30.
He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition but died on Sunday, June 2. His family have been informed.
A post-mortem examination will take place in due course, with the police investigation into Mr Kennedy's death being led by the Homicide and Major Crime Command.
Det Chief Insp Paul Consadine called on anyone who was in the park at the time of the attack to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, could help us move forward with our investigation."
Two men were arrested in connection with the assault prior to Mr Kennedy's death, one of whom appeared in court on Saturday charged with GBH.
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 4 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 5 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.