Murder investigation launched as man, 61, dies after Plaistow Park attack
- Credit: Ken Mears
Murder squad detectives are investigating after a 61-year-old man died days after being assaulted in Plaistow Park.
Steven Kennedy, who lived in Plaistow, suffered a serious head injury after being attacked at around 11.35am on Thursday, May 30.
He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition but died on Sunday, June 2. His family have been informed.
A post-mortem examination will take place in due course, with the police investigation into Mr Kennedy's death being led by the Homicide and Major Crime Command.
Det Chief Insp Paul Consadine called on anyone who was in the park at the time of the attack to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, could help us move forward with our investigation."
Two men were arrested in connection with the assault prior to Mr Kennedy's death, one of whom appeared in court on Saturday charged with GBH.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.