Smoke gets in the eyes of bungling East Ham burglar
A bungling burglar was foiled when the store he raided filled with smoke pumped out by a security system.
The hooded crook smashed the window of East Ham’s Tesco Express store with a concrete block at around 1am this morning.
He then began loading bottles of spirits into a bag, but was forced to stop when the Pilgrims Way store’s anti-theft system began filling the building with smoke.
Detectives say the smoke, which also triggered a fire alarm, would have been impossible for the suspect to see anything.
Police and fire crews were called and he fled the scene empty-handed.
You may also want to watch:
Officers are now hunting the man, who was white, 5ft 7in tall and wearing a black hooded top.
Anyone with information should call Newham’s Burglary Squad on 020 8217 5009 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 7 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19