Smoke gets in the eyes of bungling East Ham burglar
A bungling burglar was foiled when the store he raided filled with smoke pumped out by a security system.
The hooded crook smashed the window of East Ham’s Tesco Express store with a concrete block at around 1am this morning.
He then began loading bottles of spirits into a bag, but was forced to stop when the Pilgrims Way store’s anti-theft system began filling the building with smoke.
Detectives say the smoke, which also triggered a fire alarm, would have been impossible for the suspect to see anything.
Police and fire crews were called and he fled the scene empty-handed.
You may also want to watch:
Officers are now hunting the man, who was white, 5ft 7in tall and wearing a black hooded top.
Anyone with information should call Newham’s Burglary Squad on 020 8217 5009 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 10 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals