Six staff arrested for allegedly spying on naked women at East Ham Leisure Centre
- Credit: Archant
Six men have been arrested for allegedly spying on naked and semi-naked women in a changing room at East Ham Leisure Centre.
A police investigation was launched after activeNewham, which took over the running of the centre in January, carried out its own internal inquiry.
Five of the men, aged in their 20s, are staff transferred to activeNewham from GLL, which previously managed the centre in Barking Road. The sixth man is believed to be a former member of staff who didn’t transfer.
It is believed personal mobiles and computers are being checked as part of the police inquiry.
The alleged offences are thought to have taken place between December 1 and February 15.
You may also want to watch:
The men were arrested on April 30 for offences relating to Voyeurism under Section 67 of the Sexual Offences Act.
They have been bailed to return to an east London police station later this month.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues
A spokesman for activeNewham said: “Serious allegations of voyeurism have been made against five members of staff.
“We are dealing with them through our established procedures and all five have been suspended. The matters are being investigated by police and we are co-operating fully.”
A Newham Council spokesman said: “We have been assured by activeNewham that action was taken once they were made aware of allegations. The safety of customers has been assured.”