Six staff arrested for allegedly spying on naked women at East Ham Leisure Centre
- Credit: Archant
Six men have been arrested for allegedly spying on naked and semi-naked women in a changing room at East Ham Leisure Centre.
A police investigation was launched after activeNewham, which took over the running of the centre in January, carried out its own internal inquiry.
Five of the men, aged in their 20s, are staff transferred to activeNewham from GLL, which previously managed the centre in Barking Road. The sixth man is believed to be a former member of staff who didn’t transfer.
It is believed personal mobiles and computers are being checked as part of the police inquiry.
The alleged offences are thought to have taken place between December 1 and February 15.
The men were arrested on April 30 for offences relating to Voyeurism under Section 67 of the Sexual Offences Act.
They have been bailed to return to an east London police station later this month.
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 3 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 4 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 7 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 8 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 9 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 10 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
A spokesman for activeNewham said: “Serious allegations of voyeurism have been made against five members of staff.
“We are dealing with them through our established procedures and all five have been suspended. The matters are being investigated by police and we are co-operating fully.”
A Newham Council spokesman said: “We have been assured by activeNewham that action was taken once they were made aware of allegations. The safety of customers has been assured.”