Six crackhouses closed in Newham

Six crack houses have been closed down by Newham police under anti-social behaviour laws.

Officers acted on intelligence from local residents to close premises believed to be used for drug use and related disorder to shut down for three months.

From Sep 24 to Dec 14, the police worked with community Safer Neighbourhood Teams in partnership with landlords and the council to obtain Closure Orders from magistrates under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.

The premises were Flat 1 296 Romford Road, 517B Katherine Road, 45B St Georges Square, 29 Forest Street, all in Forest Gate, and two further addresses in Cleves Road, East Ham.

Of the tenants, 82 per cent have been or are in the process of eviction and the remaining 18 per cent have been sign-posted to appropriate support networks.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter