Silvertown burglar who made hammer threats jailed
- Credit: Essex Police
A burglar who threatened a woman with a baseball bat and hammer after breaking into her home has been jailed for 11 and a half years.
Basildon Crown Court heard how Syd Slingo, of Camel Road, Silvertown, was one of three men to break into a house in Branksome Avenue, Corringham, at around 6.50pm on January 16.
The gang threatened the woman, who is in her 20s, before making off with a safe containing jewellery of sentimental value and cash.
Slingo was found guilty of aggravated burglary on Tuesday and jailed for 11 years.
He was also jailed for six months for theft of a motor vehicle, to run consecutively.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer Dc Clive Day said: “Slingo’s actions that day left the victim deeply traumatised.
“It is testament to her inner strength that she was able to present the evidence that enabled the jury to reach the verdict they did and ensure Slingo felt the full weight of the justice system.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 We're not promising anything we can't deliver says West Ham boss David Moyes
Officers are still appealing for information about the other two men involved.
Anyone who can help is asked to call Dc Day at Grays CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.