Silvertown burglar who made hammer threats jailed
- Credit: Essex Police
A burglar who threatened a woman with a baseball bat and hammer after breaking into her home has been jailed for 11 and a half years.
Basildon Crown Court heard how Syd Slingo, of Camel Road, Silvertown, was one of three men to break into a house in Branksome Avenue, Corringham, at around 6.50pm on January 16.
The gang threatened the woman, who is in her 20s, before making off with a safe containing jewellery of sentimental value and cash.
Slingo was found guilty of aggravated burglary on Tuesday and jailed for 11 years.
He was also jailed for six months for theft of a motor vehicle, to run consecutively.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer Dc Clive Day said: “Slingo’s actions that day left the victim deeply traumatised.
“It is testament to her inner strength that she was able to present the evidence that enabled the jury to reach the verdict they did and ensure Slingo felt the full weight of the justice system.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 West Ham defender Coufal frustrated with Everton defeat
Officers are still appealing for information about the other two men involved.
Anyone who can help is asked to call Dc Day at Grays CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.