Silvertown burglar who made hammer threats jailed
- Credit: Essex Police
A burglar who threatened a woman with a baseball bat and hammer after breaking into her home has been jailed for 11 and a half years.
Basildon Crown Court heard how Syd Slingo, of Camel Road, Silvertown, was one of three men to break into a house in Branksome Avenue, Corringham, at around 6.50pm on January 16.
The gang threatened the woman, who is in her 20s, before making off with a safe containing jewellery of sentimental value and cash.
Slingo was found guilty of aggravated burglary on Tuesday and jailed for 11 years.
He was also jailed for six months for theft of a motor vehicle, to run consecutively.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer Dc Clive Day said: “Slingo’s actions that day left the victim deeply traumatised.
“It is testament to her inner strength that she was able to present the evidence that enabled the jury to reach the verdict they did and ensure Slingo felt the full weight of the justice system.”
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 3 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 10 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
Officers are still appealing for information about the other two men involved.
Anyone who can help is asked to call Dc Day at Grays CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.