Shotguns found in Newham ‘wooded area’ by gang police
- Credit: Met Police
Police have recovered two shotguns and ammunition from a wooded area in the E16 area while conducting a routine weapon sweep.
The “lethal weapons” were found this morning by officers from the Trident Gang Crime unit, supported by specialist officers.
All will now be subject to a forensic examination.
Insp Jack Rowlands, leading the initiative for Trident, said: “This was a significant find that has resulted in two lethal weapons being removed from the streets of London.
“The find highlights the effectiveness of specialist search teams and will no doubt be unhappy news for whoever was planning to make use of the guns.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important to point out that if a member of the public comes across a weapon they should not touch it, but report it to police immediately by dialling 999 to ensure that it is forensically recovered.”
There have been no arrests and enquiries continue.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley