‘Sexual deviant’ who raped woman in Newham jailed for 20 years
- Credit: Archant
A “dangerous sexual deviant” who violently raped two vulnerable women has been jailed for 20 years – two-and-a-half years after he committed his first crime.
Steven Jeanne, 44, was found guilty of raping a woman in Newham - after fresh evidence emerged while he was under investigation for a separate allegation of rape and assault.
Jeanne, of Hackney, had been accused of rape and causing grievous bodily harm to a different woman in October last year. He had also been accused of 14 counts of possession of indecent images of children and extreme pornography.
After being charged with the offences last year, Jeanne assaulted the same woman, also from Hackney, after getting into an argument with her in March.
When he was remanded in custody, new evidence came to light about the rape of the woman in Newham in February 2011.
You may also want to watch:
His victim had made the allegation in February 2012, but police said there had not previously been enough evidence to convict him.
Det Insp Patrick Milford, of the Metropolitan Police,said: “Steven Jeanne is a very dangerous sexual deviant. He preyed on vulnerable women, subjecting them to violent rapes.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 10 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
“The victims have shown incredible courage throughout the investigative process and I would like to thank them for their support throughout this.”
Jeanne, of Brent House Road, was found guilty of two counts of rape and GBH at a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on July 25. He also admitted to possessing extreme pornography and indecent images of children at another hearing last week.
And at a hearing at the same court on Monday, he was jailed for 20 years for his offences – more than two-and-a-half years after raping his first victim.