‘Sexual deviant’ who raped woman in Newham jailed for 20 years
- Credit: Archant
A “dangerous sexual deviant” who violently raped two vulnerable women has been jailed for 20 years – two-and-a-half years after he committed his first crime.
Steven Jeanne, 44, was found guilty of raping a woman in Newham - after fresh evidence emerged while he was under investigation for a separate allegation of rape and assault.
Jeanne, of Hackney, had been accused of rape and causing grievous bodily harm to a different woman in October last year. He had also been accused of 14 counts of possession of indecent images of children and extreme pornography.
After being charged with the offences last year, Jeanne assaulted the same woman, also from Hackney, after getting into an argument with her in March.
When he was remanded in custody, new evidence came to light about the rape of the woman in Newham in February 2011.
You may also want to watch:
His victim had made the allegation in February 2012, but police said there had not previously been enough evidence to convict him.
Det Insp Patrick Milford, of the Metropolitan Police,said: “Steven Jeanne is a very dangerous sexual deviant. He preyed on vulnerable women, subjecting them to violent rapes.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 10 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
“The victims have shown incredible courage throughout the investigative process and I would like to thank them for their support throughout this.”
Jeanne, of Brent House Road, was found guilty of two counts of rape and GBH at a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on July 25. He also admitted to possessing extreme pornography and indecent images of children at another hearing last week.
And at a hearing at the same court on Monday, he was jailed for 20 years for his offences – more than two-and-a-half years after raping his first victim.