Sex attack at Manor Park car repairers
A Kwik-Fit employee who left a female delivery driver in tears after greeting her by grabbing one of her breasts has been ordered to sign as a sex offender for five years.
Muhammad Atique, 30, embraced the visitor and then groped her.
The shocked young victim then complained: “He grabbed my t**.”
Inner London Crown Court heard that the married father-of-one, who insisted he did not touch the woman’s breast, was found guilty of sexual assault following a trial. His wife was in court supporting him throughout.
The judge, Mr Recorder Camden Pratt, handed Atique a community order with 80 hours of unpaid work and said he would have to sign on the sex offenders’ register for five years.
You may also want to watch:
The judge said: “In a moment of madness you took advantage of the complainant. You squeezed her breast.
“That upset her at the time, and she was upset and in tears in the witness box.
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 6 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
“It was an invasion of her personal space. You should have apologised to her straight away.
“You are a hard-working man and you have now lost your job.”
The trial heard how when Atique protested it was an accident the police were called.
During his interview with officers, Atique changed his story to claim the victim was getting him back for making fun of her.
Andrew Vout, prosecuting, said the woman was “relaxed, outgoing, smiling” when she arrived at the site in Manor Park on February 15 this year.
Mr Vout said it was not her first time there and it was the ‘custom’ to hug.
“She came into the office and Mr Atique, who was working in the office, went towards her and hugged her,” said the barrister.
“But as they parted, he reached out and deliberately grabbed her left breast. The incident was captured on CCTV.”
When she complained, Mr Atique said he touched her breast but by accident.
Atique, of Walthamstow, denied sexual assault and was convicted by a majority of 11-1.